Re: [dita] The whatever-we-call-it factor

From
Bob Thomas <>
Date
2015-03-12T14:35:18+00:00
ID
CAORtF5bA-+wPRURiMNBUvX_u+=
Thread
Re: [dita] The whatever-we-call-it factor
Hi Don. I think that I understand your concerns. I agree that we ought not to preclude interesting use-cases by using exclusive language. But, I take issue with your specific objections.

In the physical world, a structure can be anything from a garden shed to a cathedral. Similarly, the terms "structure," "hierarchy," and "aggregation" include the trivial case where the size of a collection is one. Because of this, I don't think that we are excluding interesting use cases.

Bob
  

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Don R. Day <> wrote:

  
    
  
  

    On 3/11/2015 4:31 PM, Bob Thomas wrote:

    DITA is an XML vocabulary for creating content and
      then aggregating it and other resources into a structured
      information network.
    Hey, Bob, I appreciate your attempt to try to synthesize some of the
    new language that Eliot has introduced. Regarding your starting
    definition above, we have already defined DITA in this way:

    "The Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) is an XML-based
    architecture for authoring, producing, and delivering
    topic-oriented, information-typed content that can be reused and
    single-sourced in a variety of ways."

    

    We should not introduce any new appearance of defining DITA as a
    particular kind of usage given that we already have a sufficiently
    broad definition that encourages new ways of looking at DITA usage.
    The redefinition specifically inhibits any thought about accessing
    DITA resources as independent Web resources apart from the context
    of a map (by the very usage of "aggregation" and "structured
    information network"). In the work of the Lightweight DITA SC, we
    (I, for one) are keenly focused on DITA for the long tail of uptake
    that is completely orthogonal to the business concerns of
    traditional publishing, which "aggregation and structured networks"
    enshrines.

    

    So we need to be cautious about using this new language in any way
    that draws DITA into a role of usage that will limit the freedom of
    innovative use going forward. I'm seeing this so clearly now that I
    want to ask the TC to consider how the terminology impacts the
    vision of adoption that DITA ought to be free to grow into. We may
    well want to better define the publishing role using some of the new
    concepts, but we've got to keep the door open for innovation beyond
    that already well-understood community. This is about DITA for the
    rest of us.

    

    
-- 

      
      

        Don R. Day

        Founding Chair, OASIS
          DITA Technical Committee

        LinkedIn: donrday   Twitter:
        @donrday

        About.me: Don R. Day   Skype:
        don.r.day<
      

      

        "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

        Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"

        --T.S. Eliot 
      

    

  

	

		
			
				
			
		
		
			

				This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
				
www.avast.com
			

		
	

-- 

Bob Thomas
+1 720 201 8260

Skype: bob.thomas.colorado

Instant messaging: Gmail chat () or Skype

Time zone: Mountain (GMT-7)