Re: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element for things you press on keyboards.

From
Scott Hudson <>
Date
2019-06-11T16:56:27+00:00
ID
Thread
Re: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element for things you press on keyboards.
We often use the following:

Press <uicontrol><shortcut>Ctrl+Alt+Delete</shortcut></uicontrol> to restart the system. I'm not a huge fan of it.

 

I like the DocBook structure better:

https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/shortcut.html

 

I'd prefer a way to identify on screen elements in combination with hardware keystrokes.

 

Thanks and best regards,

 

--Scott

 

Voting member:

Boeing Data Standards Technical Advisory Board

OASIS DocBook TC (Secretary), Publishers SC (Chair)

OASIS DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LwDITA SC, Learning Content SC (Secretary)

OASIS DITA Adoption TC

OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC

Scott Hudson

Content Technology Strategist

Information and Knowledge Services

_____________________________________

Jeppesen

A Boeing Company

ph: 303.328.6228 | Mobile : 303.350.7934 | 

55 Inverness Drive East | Englewood, CO  80112 | www.jeppesen.com

 

This document contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

 

From:
<> on behalf of Zoe Lawson <>

Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 10:09 AM

To: DITA TC <>

Subject: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element for things you press on keyboards.

 

I often want to add special formatting for things I press/type, such as CTRL+Z or ALT+0235. I know that <userinput> exists, but that generally seems to be intended for
 strings you put into fields. Also, I generally want different formatting for things I press on a keyboard vs text I need to enter.

 

Right now (because I'm a DITA specialization newbie), I'm using <userinput outputclass="keyboard">CTRL+S</userinput> in my processing. I'd love to simplify this down to
 something like <keyboard>CTRL+S</keyboard>. Potentially this is just a small addition to the software elements domain.

 

And trying to write this without using the word "key" is hard. 

 

Zoà Lawson