Re: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element for things you press on keyboards.

From
Kristen James Eberlein <>
Date
2019-06-11T17:29:08+00:00
ID
Thread
Re: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element for things you press on keyboards.
Umm, I think you are misusing <shortcut>. Granted, the spec
      definition is not crystal clear ...

    

    
Best,

      Kris

      

      Kristen James Eberlein

      Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

      Principal consultant, Eberlein Consulting

      www.eberleinconsulting.com

      +1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)

      

    

    
On 6/11/2019 12:56 PM, Scott Hudson
      wrote:

    

    
      
      
      
      

        
We often use the following:

        
Press
<uicontrol><shortcut>Ctrl+Alt+Delete</shortcut></uicontrol>
          to restart the system. I'm not a huge fan of it.

        
Â

        
I like the DocBook structure better:

        
https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/shortcut.html

        
Â

        
I'd prefer a way to identify on screen
          elements in combination with hardware keystrokes.

        
Â

        
Thanks
            and best regards,

        
Â

        
--Scott

        
Â

        
Voting
            member:

        
Boeing
            Data Standards Technical Advisory Board

        
OASIS
            DocBook TC (Secretary), Publishers SC (Chair)

        
OASIS
            DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LwDITA SC, Learning Content SC
            (Secretary)

        
OASIS
            DITA Adoption TC

        
OASIS
            Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC

        

          Scott
              Hudson

            Content
            Technology Strategist

          Information
            and Knowledge Services

          _____________________________________

            Jeppesen

            A
            Boeing Company

            

            ph:Â303.328.6228Â|ÂMobile
            :Â303.350.7934Â|Âscott

            55 Inverness Drive East |ÂEnglewood,
            COÂ 80112Â|Âwww.jeppesen.com

        
Â

        
This document
            contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S.
            International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

        
Â

        

          
From:
              <>
              on behalf of Zoe Lawson <>

              Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 10:09 AM

              To: DITA TC <>

              Subject: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element
              for things you press on keyboards.

        

        

          
Â

        

        

          
I often want to add
              special formatting for things I press/type, such as CTRL+Z
              or ALT+0235. I know that <userinput> exists, but
              that generally seems to be intended for strings you put
              into fields. Also, I generally want different formatting
              for things I press on a keyboard vs text I need to enter.

        

        

          
Â

        

        

          
Right now (because
              I'm a DITA specialization newbie), I'm using <userinput
              outputclass="keyboard">CTRL+S</userinput> in my
              processing. I'd love to simplify this down to something
              like <keyboard>CTRL+S</keyboard>. Potentially
              this is just a small addition to the software elements
              domain.

        

        

          
Â

        

        

          
And trying to write
              this without using the word "key" is hard.Â

        

        

          
Â

        

        

          
Zoà Lawson