RE: [ebxml-msg] RE: COnformance Clause

From
Jacques Durand <>
Date
2001-12-07T03:56:25+00:00
ID
Thread
RE: [ebxml-msg] RE: COnformance Clause
Title: RE: [ebxml-msg] RE: COnformance Clause

Chris:

My whole point about CPP vs. conformance level (in Doug's comment), 

is simply that I would try to avoid describing conformance in terms of CPP.

Rather, I would tell which feature modules the MSH supports (a "level" 

being simply a subset of these). 

Supporting a feature module will in turn allow for many CPP instances a user may 

be interested in. (e.g. the Security module will allow for many combinations

of DeliveryChannel Characteristic attribute values - authenticated, confidentiality, etc.-,

or of RM attr values. I guess these may get changed more often than the MSH impl a user uses.)

Now, a vendor (or anyone) may provide a tool that, given a user's CPP - or a CPA- tells 

what MSH features are required to support it, as this mapping is not always straightforward.

I guess that is what Doug really wants.

Back to the conformance clause the IIC recommends:

(I'll try to shake out a nascent reputation of regulation freak here...)

Vendors remain free to implement the feature combination they want.

But we believe the certification and testing process that is behind the conformance clause,

is better off with fewer options to target. That is really what it is about.

Few conformance options would also shape a more homogeneous MSH market, I admit, 

and we think that is not bad...

So with our proposal there would not be a certification stamp matching each possible 

feature combination on the market.

Some other comemnts in line.

Regards,

Jacques

-----Original Message-----

From: Christopher Ferris [mailto:]

Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 10:13 AM

To: Jacques Durand

Cc: 'Doug Bunting'; 

Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] RE: COnformance Clause

I believe that it is the prerogative of the OASIS Messaging TC

to determine what is core, not IIC. If there is disagreement

among the IIC members as to what should be considered core, then

I would encourage them to formally join the Messaging TC so that

they can make their views count through votes.

<JD>

The IIC only makes a recommendation here, we do not challenge the MS TC prerogatives. 

One of the clause options I submitted has in fact a very minimal basic level.

Almost like in current core (except for Security...)

</JD>

That aside, let me explain why RM is not in core ( as I believe

that is the one which seems to be the most contentious of the

"optional" features/modules.) The RM protocol is provided for

use with protocols that are inherently unreliable such as HTTP

and SMTP. If the ebXML MS were bound to a reliable protocol,

then the RM feature would be unnecessary overhead. In addition,

since the RM feature is fairly heavyweight, it seems to me

that a perfectly valid use of the ebMS is in "best effort"

mode for use by SMEs lets say to enable them to conduct

business, yet without the overhead of full-blown reliability.

In conjunction with a synchronous use of the ebXML MSH,

RM is also potentially unnecessary overhead for a simple

implementation.

<JD>

I see your point for RM (and I guess Ordering) not a core feature, though

then the level of control (that can be seen as QoS) assumed by the current CPP/CPA

might not be available anymore if this is supported at protocol level 

(e.g. retries, persistduration, etc.)

I guess the MSH profile you mentioned ( HTTP/S transport binding + RM module)

would then become just an alternative in CPP ReliableMessaging elt.

It Seems to me that the same reasoning apply to Security as well 

(e.g. a non-MSH SOAP node can take care of signing messages).

I was not the only one to question Security singled out in core in last f-2-f, 

that is what I meant by "not everyone agree" to what is in the core. 

(I am not sure I can make a motion on this, as I am not a voting member yet)

</JD>

...

A conformance clause for the ebMS spec should be (IMO) that

an complaint/conformant implementation SHALL pass the test

suite defined <a href="here">here</a> by the OASIS ebXML IIC TC.

For optional features, if supported, then the corresponding test

cases must be passed. For unsupported features, the test assertion

may fail...

<JD>

Conformance clause can indeed  - in addition - point to a test procedure - we should add that when available.

</JD>