   RE: Weak DTDs

  • From: akirkpatrick@ims-global.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk,peter@ursus.demon.co.uk
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:04:25 +0000

The strength of the DTD is in giving a limited set of possibilities for
a processing engine to work with. There are obviously other ways
to do this (see below) but for a lot of applications, the DTD provides
sufficient constraints for authors of the information. A common
example is a title element. Often a title is required to provide feedback
in a UI, to act as link text in a hypertext link, etc. If your DTD says:

<!ELEMENT anything (title, anything.else+)>

then you know for a fact that you can pick out the title, given a
valid document. Also, the parser will tell you if the document is valid
or not and you can then decide whether to attempt processing it.
In our application, the RTF processing engine will still attempt to
process a document but says "hey, you might not get what you
expect". In other situations, an application just says "go away
and come back with something valid".

It sounds like in your situation, you aren't worried about the vast
majority of elements but just want to pick up on key things like
<atom>, <bond>, etc. The "Eliot" way to do this would be with an
architecture DTD which defines attributes to identify important
elements. Your derived DTD can then use any content model (or
even element names) you want.

For example:

<!element atom - - (bond+)>
<!attlist atom
 CMLNAME NAME  #FIXED atom>

<!element bond - - EMPTY>
<!attlist bond
 CMLNAME NAME  #FIXED bond>

Your derived DTD might then go something like:

<!ELEMENT myatom - - (title, mybond+, otherstuff)>
<!ATTLIST myatom
 CMLNAME NAME  #FIXED atom>
<!ELEMENT mybond - - (title, description)>
<!ATTLIST mybond
 CMLNAME NAME  #FIXED bond>

(I'm still new to AFs, but this is the basic idea)

Now your processing engine can identify items by their fixed
attributes and process according, ignoring all other elements.
Other people can happily derive from your architecture DTD to
add their application specific elements.

If you are using XML without a DTD, things are exactly the
same except that you need to explicitly set the attribute on
the relevant elements (as I understand it). It should be trivial
to write a normaliser which would generate XML from an SGML
instance (SGMLNORM would probably do it).

I think one of the major problems with the Web today is the
plethora of badly formed HTML pages which have been allowed
to grow and florish by browsers which don't check for validity
in any way at all. There is a danger that lack of DTDs in XML
documents will lead to even greater "tag soup".