   RE: Weak DTDs

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:59:35

Thanks very much,

At 11:04 17/10/97 +0000, akirkpatrick@ims-global.com wrote:
[... useful stuff clipped ...]
>If you are using XML without a DTD, things are exactly the
>same except that you need to explicitly set the attribute on
>the relevant elements (as I understand it). It should be trivial
>to write a normaliser which would generate XML from an SGML
>instance (SGMLNORM would probably do it).
>
>I think one of the major problems with the Web today is the
>plethora of badly formed HTML pages which have been allowed
>to grow and florish by browsers which don't check for validity
>in any way at all. There is a danger that lack of DTDs in XML
>documents will lead to even greater "tag soup".

What I am proposing is a smallish number of tags (perhaps 10-20) but
without fixed rules for their content models. I intend to define the tags
carefully, but not necessarily their combination. So perhaps not 'soup' but
'jelly'. I also expect to interoperate with other people's tags and it
looks like DC: and RDF: will have similar approaches - i.e. the tags
themselves are understood, but their content model is jelly.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev