   SAX - External Entities

  • From: Chris Hubick <maillist@chris.hubick.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:15:06 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> > > 7.  An NVP MAY NOT signal an error if a reference is made to an
> > > unparsed entity, if the entity was declared in some external entity.
> >
> > As above -- this is a "MUST" if the parser reads external entities.
> > and a "MUST NOT" elsewhere.
>
> Unless it reads some e.e.s but not others.

	Hmm, this made me think about SAX.  Earlier this year I was
looking for a way to tell a SAX parser not to process external entities
for a browsing application.  David Megginson told me just to return an
XMLSource for an empty string from the entity handler.  It is however
becoming obvious to me that it could be important for the parser to know
that it is skipping an external entity as opposed to that entity being
empty, such as the case above.  It makes me wonder if using an empty
XMLSource to skip entities is a good way to do it.

---
Chris Hubick
mailto:chris@hubick.com
http://www.hubick.com/