   RE: Compositional Documents

  • From: Derek Denny-Brown <derekdb@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Chris Berry' <CBerry@works.com>, "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:28:23 -0800

The problem with the code below is that the first:
   doc.appendChild( docFrag );
moves the contents of docFrag into doc.  It does not copy/clone or otherwise
duplicate, but rather removes the contents of the document fragment, and
appends them to the list of children of doc.  Before executing that line,
the following would be a true assertion:
    docFrag.getChildNodes().getLength() == 1
after executing that line the following is true
    docFrag.getChildNodes().getLength() == 0

Thus executing the following tidbit after the above
doc.appendChild(docFrag), is an obfuscated no-op.
   doc2.appendChild( docFrag );

-derek