   Re: A weaker XSL?

  • From: Clark Evans <clark.evans@manhattanproject.com>
  • To: Peter Seibel <peter@weblogic.com>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 22:54:14 +0000

Peter Seibel wrote:

> I'm not arguing that you can implement XSL so it uses no heap, just that
> you could implement it on top of SAX rather than DOM. Or am I still missing
> something?

I think you are echoing my belief.

Question: Is XSL defining "style" instructions
or "composition" instructions.

Things like sorting, re-arranging, table-of-contents
generation, etc. are really large processing instructions
that are more along the line of *what* to process, rather
than *how* the information should be presented. Things like
this could be moved into XQL or some other transformation
language, leaving XSL a more pure "style" oriented
specification.

Thus XSL wouldn't be *generating* a table of contents,
it would only let you choose if you want to display it,
and if it is displayed, how it is displayed, in green
ink or red, bold or itallic, Aa1i style or 1.1.1.1
style, etc.

By doing this, a weaker XSL would have a much more
clearly defined role, would be less subject to
"feature creep", and could be implemented on top
of SAX instead of assuming (and requiring) a full
DOM implelementation.

Just $.02

;) Clark Evans

(un)subscribe xml-dev