   Re: Component Markup Language

  • From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:41:03 -0600

Mark Birbeck wrote:

> If I was to propose a component-XML DTD that began with a tag called
> HTML, then others called HEAD and BODY, and it had definitions for text
> fields, buttons, drop-boxes, images, tables and more, as well as being
> able to call up external programs and all the rest of it; what
> ADDITIONAL features is everyone saying they would want to be present in
> *their* component-XML that are not in 'mine' (and I really think the
> lack of graphics on a button is insufficient justification for spending
> the next year writing an entire XHTML!)

Been there.  Done that.  Got the T-shirt (says, "More Meta Than Thou!")

See the US Navy MID (Metafile for Interactive Documents) project.  There
are probably references to it from the OASIS page.  I don't know if the
original designs are still out there.  I believe parts of it mutated
into
the ISMID which is an ISO project.  Check with Dave Cooper and Mike
Anderson.  When I last looked, there wasn't much left of the original
MID, but as a design project, it occupied some serious people for a few
years.  It was implemented several times by different teams, worked
fine,
and basically was condemmed as clunky and "not the way I would do it".
OTOH, it met the requirements and did the job.

IOW, what you want to do works fine but you have to find a market for
it.

len bullard

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest