   Re: Storing Lots of Fiddly Bits (was Re: What is XML for?)

  • From: Marcelo Cantos <marcelo@mds.rmit.edu.au>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:46:25 +1100

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 11:14:32PM -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:
> "Borden, Jonathan" wrote:
> > ...[lots and lots] ... and then ...  So lets compare apples to
> > apples.  Which data access API do you wish to use?
>
> I don't want an API. I want layers of objects. At the bottom level I
> have either storage objects or records in a table. At the higher
> layers I have abstractions over those objects. Using objects I can
> build a 1-tier, 2-tier, 3-tier or n-tier system. I can have as many
> levels of business rules and clients and servers as I need. I can
> also query objects and build object schemas using standardized,
> multiply-implemented languages.

I'm not clear on what you mean here, Paul.

When one builds a multi-tier solution in the relational world, the
lowest layer is always collections of tuples, usually SQL.  Raw, an
"dumb".  To leverage this "stupid" layer, one will usually build a
business layer above this, which may implement objects.  This way you
have the best of both worlds.  You get a nice object oriented layer on
top to talk to, and an industrial strength, robust repository
underneath.

Your comments give me the impression that this is unacceptable to you
in the XML/heirarchical universe.  You don't want DOM at any level.
You insist on going straight to objects.  It is not even good enough
to build an object layer on top of the DOM layer.  I find this a
little implausible and hence am certain that you had something else in
mind.  Is it rather that you simply don't care what the underlying API
is, that you are only interested in what happens at the object level?

Cheers,
Marcelo

--
http://www.simdb.com/~marcelo/