   RE: "Clean Specs"

  • From: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:25:39 -0500

At 08:58 PM 2/7/99 -0500, Borden, Jonathan wrote:
>	Is the problem here the content of the namespace spec or the way it is
>written? It seems to me that people who feel that the spec is a compromise,
>or wish the spec specified something different, are unhappy. If you really
>don't understand the spec, how can you claim it is a ramshackle compromise?
>I suspect that you understand it and don't like it.
>
>	The problem doesn't appear to be the way the spec is written and a
>professional writer won't solve that problem.

I can claim that it is a ramshackle compromise because I was
witness to its creation. The process stunk to high heaven.
The result is an awful compromise, and not because I don't
like it.

As I have said before, the "Namespaces in XML" spec would have
more properly been named "Namespaces in RDF". Then I might be
able to understand it. It is not the words in the spec that
I do not understand. It is that I cannot fathom the logic
that holds it together.

For example, an appendix purports to describe a fictional XML namespace
in which there exist "global" attributes which *cannot* be found in XML
-- I defy you to locate a *global* attribute in XML. Or how about names
that do not exist in any namespace? Is there an XML namespace or not?

Sure, there are parts of the spec that I do not like. And I have
done what I could to effect change. But the spec as a whole is
not something that I can explain, justify and motivate.

Regards,

Murray

Murray Maloney, Esq.          Phone: (905) 509-9120
Muzmo Communication Inc.      Fax:   (905) 509-8637
671 Cowan Circle              Email: murray@muzmo.com
Pickering, Ontario 		Email: murray@yuri.org
Canada, L1W 3K6

(un)subscribe xml-dev