   Re: CORBA's not boring yet. / XML in an OS?

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 01:30:00 +1100

From: Robb Shecter <shecter@darmstadt.gmd.de>

>James Tauber wrote:

>> For a while now, I've been thinking what an OS (or more likely shell)
would
>> look like if it took Unix's "everything as a file" to "everything as
an XML
>> element".
>
>Now this is interesting.

This is not so-far fetched. The idea for the XML Encoding PI comes from
a University of Hong Kong (or was it the Chinese University of HK)
project called HANZIX: a version of UNIX which would accept Chinese text
streams in multiple encodings. They came up with the idea "Codeset
Announcement"; XML uses an (improved) version of this.

I suppose the sgrep tool is an example too: but do you really want to be
parsing and serializing XML, unless it is very large text with localized
processing? Maybe it would be better to generalize the pipe mechanism so
that it connects either text or a DOM object too.

Rick Jelliffe

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)