   RE: "Namespaces in XML" idea?

  • From: Ronald Bourret <rbourret@ito.tu-darmstadt.de>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>, "'Lars Marius Garshol'" <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:20:50 +0100

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> | It would be nice if and when the namespaces recommendation is
> | updated if it mas made a formality that a conforming namespace aware
> | processor strips namespace nodes from the document model before
> | presenting the parsed content to the application.
>
> Do you think this is really necessary? I think in some cases it would
> be desirable to see them, and in most cases not. So even if this
> change is made I think it should be "at user option".
>
> Anyway, it's a rather obvious user option, so methinks there isn't all
> that much need to mention it in the spec. The xmlproc namespace code
> currently has an option that lets the user decide whether the
> declaration attribute should be reported or not.

This is exactly the kind of thing that should be mentioned in this or any
other spec -- one person's obvious is another person's obscure and the
point of a spec is to sort it all out.

By the way, I was a little surprised to read that expat does not pass xmlns
attributes to the application.  I had always assumed that attributes were
part of the document's data and therefore the processor was required to
pass them to the application.  On re-reading the XML spec, I am not so
sure.  Section 2.4 defines markup as "start-tags, end-tags, empty-element
tags, ..."  Are attributes part of start-tags?  If so, this would certainly
influence the question of whether to use elements or attributes, although I
find it hard to believe any parser wouldn't pass attributes to the
application.  If not, why isn't expat's behavior illegal?

-- Ron Bourret

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)