   Re: The Peace Process: DOM and namespaces...

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>, rick@activated.com
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:05:37 -0800

At 09:06 AM 2/11/99 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>Rick Ross writes:
>
> > Tim Bray noted that perhaps the best solution here is to urge that
> > support for namespaces in XSL be deferred until the next phase
>
>Did Tim say this?  I'll have to let him clarify whether he agrees with
>it or not

I said it was a consistent course of action.  I don't agree with it.
Rick's problem is that he wants to implement XSL (not stable yet)
with DOM 1.0, which doesn't have everything you need to do it.  My
contention is that since XSL 1.0 and DOM level 2 will arrive at more
or less the same time, it's reasonable for XSL to depend on things
in DOM level 2.  Rick, it seems, would like XSL to throw out
everything that can't be supported with XML 1.0 and DOM level 1,
because he wants a conformant application of an unfinished spec
and he wants it now.  -Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)