   Re: Roll-Your-Own Parsers (was: Re: What Clean Specs Achieve)

  • From: David Brownell <db@Eng.Sun.COM>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:41:34 -0800

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> It looks like someone else may be stepping in with possible disruption for
> the roll-your-own process: Sun. From the Infoworld cover story
> (http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?99028.ehsunxml.htm):
>
> >"We had to let the dust settle and determine what makes sense for XML so
> >we have a clear path," said Nancy Lee, product manager for XML at Java
> >Software, a Sun division in Mountain View, Calif.
> >
> >The company's next step is to provide a standard Java API to support XML,
> >Lee said. The API will go through the Java Community Process, a multivendor
> >standards process for Java technologies.
>
> Not to pick on Sun, but it's still pretty unclear how open their process is
> really going to be.

To the extent I have much say, quite open ... but the story about
how open it's _supposed_ to be is on-line:

    http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/jcp/index.html

Keep an eye out there ... say, next week.  And I'll extend a personal
invite to anyone on XML-DEV to keep an eye on this particular process,
and a request to help make this a success for everyone!!  Drop me a
line (personally -- I have little time to keep up with XML-DEV)) if
you have issues with how it works out.

>	  Do we really need another 'multivendor standards
> process' to tell us all what to do our information?  How about building on
> what we've already got, and keeping it at least as open (very for SAX, not
> as open for DOM) as it's been so far?

What did you think that "clear path" was?  ;-)

> With any luck, we'd be able to keep the bloat to a minimum, at least.

That's a key goal for me, and most folk at Sun who've looked
at the issues.  There are some holes to fill in in the SAX
and DOM areas, but a "core" API must be small and easily built
on top of ... be it MDSAX or SAX II or whatever.

- Dave

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)