   From XML to Latin Was: XML Information Set Requirements, W3C Note 18-Fe

  • From: Rob Schoening <rschoening@unforgettable.com>
  • To: cowan@locke.ccil.org, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk, jes@kuantech.com
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:57:04 -0800

>I think this issue needs to be addressed. It may be the case that the stream
>contains, not one, but many documents, where each information "packet" is a
>document. Or perhaps the afore-mentioned notion of "document fragment" is
>introduced, and each packet is a fragment. But it will definitely be
>necessary to support this kind of processing in some manner.

It definitely needs to be addressed.

XML would do well to take a long hard look at natural language.  That is,
what are the aspects of natural langauge that allow us to deal with them in
both spoken and written form in a variety of media (on paper, on screen, on
tape, on air, etc...)?

As Jeffrey suggested, we're getting stuck on the markup when markup is only
a small part of the picture.  If that happens we're going to end up with
Latin!  It is formal and precise, but not so terribly useful for
communication.  These days that's a crippling liability.

Does the W3C have a set of use-cases for XML.  I'd be very interested to see
them.

Rob

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)