   RE: Documents and Document Fragments

  • From: Tim.Shaw@wdr.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:36:01 +0000

I maybe don't quite understand this - my apologies if I'm missing something.

A document fragment is a lightweight document (as defined by W3C
REC-DOM-Level-1-19981001). These fragments may be used for numerous purposes -
including creating (by 'insertion') other documents.

A document fragment need not be WF - but (presumably) they must represent at
least one <tag></tag> type construct as they are also Nodes

Surely it's down to the parser as to whether you can access these things before
the XML document has been fully parsed (and they are _not_ Valid XML 1.0
documents(?)). The parser can still be XML 1.0 conformant - but it would need to
provide non-conformant interfaces to allow interim access.

NB This is somewhat DOM-centric, but the definitions do exist :-)

tim