   Re: ANNOUNCE: New XHTML WD

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:34:01 -0500

one point: there is no reason to define text/xhtml as opposed to
>using text/xml and inserting a DOCTYPE  or perhaps a default xmlns
>definition. If a user-agent needs to know the DOCTYPE ... look at it!

The problem arises with slim clients such as a cell phone. To look at the
DOCTYPE the document must be downloaded, and cracked open. Rather a waste of
both Band width and resources. For example a cell phone may elect not to
accept a SGML based HTML document, and may not know how to present an XML
document. Style sheets may not be appropriate for some clients

DITTO if one wants to use a namespace.

What we need is some kind of content negotiation between the client and the
server, and the HTTP header is obviously the way to do this.

The problem with using a specific text/xhtml mime is that it sets a
dangerous precedent, and could lead to a potential explosion of mime types.
However some kind of negotiation must be performed.

Without giving any thing away I think I can say that there has been a
spirited debate on the subject, and as is pointed out in the WD, comment and
suggestions on this subject is particularly welcome.

Regards,
Frank

Frank Boumphrey

XML and style sheet info at Http://www.hypermedic.com/style/index.htm
>excellent. one point: there is no reason to define text/xhtml as opposed to
>using text/xml and inserting a DOCTYPE  or perhaps a default xmlns
>definition. If a user-agent needs to know the DOCTYPE ... look at it!
>
>Jonathan Borden
>http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net
>

>> The new working draft for XHTML is available at
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-html-in-xml-19990224/
>>
>> Frank
>> Frank Boumphrey
>>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk