   Re: Streams, protocols, documents and fragments

  • From: Thomas Geer <tgeer@sunset.net>
  • To: Tom Harding <tomh@thinlink.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:44:02 -0800

I have been watching this debate for a while and thought I would interject. OMG has done some
significant work on the meta data frontier for XML, with XMI and its support for MOF and UML. The
point is the real need here for not only schema and syntax definition but the ability to allocate a
standard subset of processing instructions via a RDF(?). The Warwick framework and associated
research is to document centric and I believe allot of the parsers etc. for the future will be Java
based so the natural binding to a platform independent directory interface (JNDI centric) seems
somewhat logical. I just thought as I notice a number of the more prominent XML authors on the
group here we'd begin to acknowledge the real need for controllable meta information.

Tom Harding wrote:

> David Megginson wrote:
>
> > More importantly, you don't want to have to parse an entire document
> > just to find out where it ends because that forces your system into
> > linear processing -- on a busy server, it is absolutely necessary to
> > be to isolate the documents/packets quickly and pass them off to
> > separate threads (or even separate boxes) for parsing and processing.
>
> Good point.  I have been implicitly assuming this as a cost of moving the parsing function into
> the network infrastructure.  However, a general-purpose endpoint implementation would have a
> hard time parallelizing in the way you describe because of possible inter-document dependencies
> in the application protocol.  It has to deliver the documents to the next layer in the order in
> which they were sent.  If parallelism is explicitly needed then a solution is to create
> multiple connections.
>
> xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
> Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
> To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;