   Re: Proposal to standardise a Java API

  • From: David Brownell <db@Eng.Sun.COM>
  • To: John Wilson <tug@wilson.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:13:48 -0800

John Wilson wrote:

> http://developer.javasoft.com/developer/jcp/jsr_xml.html
>
> Sun have just published a proposal to standardise a Java parser API.
> The proposal, such as it is, is available at the URL above.

The proposal is to start the discussions for what the platform level
API should be ... it's not a specific API proposal.  Though it does
sketch an initial set of functionality, scoped by SAX, DOM, and some
appropriate extensions.

Point being, the open process Sun is following in support of its
ISO/PAS process doesn't allow concrete proposals to be published
quite yet -- they've got to be made as part of that process.

   http://developer.javasoft.com/developer/jcp/

> I'm mildly surprised that nobody from Sun has had the good manners
> to post an announcement here.

You beat me to it, that's all!  However, the intention to start this
process has been mentioned in the past ... and I told folk to watch
the URL above quite recently.  Quite a few folk from XML-DEV have asked
for such an API standardization process to start.

> You have 7 days to comment.

- Dave

P.S.:

Note that due to the current high volume of XML-DEV, I read this
list infrequently.  If you'd like me to receive comments (and
perhaps respond to them) please e-mail me directly.  Don't CC the
XML-DEV list, my mail filtering configuration doesn't understand
such nuances (unfortunately).

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)