   Re: Streams, protocols, documents and fragments

  • From: Tom Harding <tomh@thinlink.com>
  • To: xml-dev list <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:04:40 -0800

David Megginson wrote:

> -- a general-purpose DOM would be *extremely* inefficient for handling
> things like vector graphics or 3D worlds (to name only two), though it
> is always possible to expose their optimised object models through a
> DOM interface later if necessary.

In lots of applications, the data can't stay in an XML representation for very long anyway,
because of what you're integrating it with/displaying it on/routing it through/converting it
to/storing it in/etc... I view the DOM as a standard, OO way of manipulating the contents of a
document.  It lets applications get work done, even without taking an end-to-end OO approach.
Perhaps I'm showing my bias here ;D

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)