   Yet another niggling XML syntax question

  • From: roddey@us.ibm.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:03:37 -0700

Does the following violate the 'partial markup in entity' rule of XML?

<!ENTITY Part1 "<!ELEMENT ">
<!ENTITY Part2 " Bubba ANY>">
<!ENTITY Whole "%Part1;%Part2">
%Whole;

By the time the entity Whole is actually used, the content that it contains
has been fully conglomerated into a single entity, therefore it does
contain the whole markup inside it, though the parts that made up the
entity itself do not. I sincerely hope that this is not illegal because it
would involve never conglomerating the actual text of such built up PEs,
because only then would the parser find out what happened. So I'm assuming
that this is ok, that the prohibition against partial markup refers to the
eventual use of the entity, not to the definition thereof?

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)