   Re: Oedipus XML (TIe Your Mother Down)

  • From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:11:04 -0600

David Megginson wrote:

> Speaking as both a parser writer and an application writer, I am
> confortable writing that XML is significantly simpler to support in
> enterprise-level implementations than full SGML, and that I have not
> actually yet really missed any of the SGML features excluded from
> XML.

I agree with this.  As an application writer who only has to parse
parts of it and then in the context of using a relational system
with XML editing, it looks very much the same to me as the simple
features of SGML that I've always used.  In effect, much of the
nastier bits of SGML I did not use before.  So, it looks much
the same.  It is a lot of fun to tie the treeviews, browser
objects, tables, dialogs, combo boxes, etc. together into a
generalized knowledge management system.  Cheap too.  ;-)

> To be fair, I am talking only about the core specs -- I am comparing
> ISO 8879 to the XML 1.0 REC, and am leaving out the peripheral
> standards on both sides.  A comparison of HyTime to XLink, XPointer,
> and Namespaces, of DSSSL to XSL, or of Topic Maps to RDF would be an
> interesting but separate exercise.

Here I don't disagree, but in my work, the concepts of HyTime, DSSSL,
the RDF Dublin Core, and namespaces influence my work.  Learning to
think beyond the DTD to the information properties of the metalanguage
proves to be very useful and that is not something I did before.
As activities like X3D ramp up, I find I am applying more and more
of the wall-to-wall markup concepts from the middle years of SGML
and they work in the XML infrastructure of tools.  This is actually
quite delightful.

len

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest