   Re: Oedipus XML (TIe Your Mother Down)

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 06:36:15 -0500 (EST)

len bullard writes:

 > > To be fair, I am talking only about the core specs -- I am comparing
 > > ISO 8879 to the XML 1.0 REC, and am leaving out the peripheral
 > > standards on both sides.  A comparison of HyTime to XLink, XPointer,
 > > and Namespaces, of DSSSL to XSL, or of Topic Maps to RDF would be an
 > > interesting but separate exercise.
 >
 > Here I don't disagree, but in my work, the concepts of HyTime, DSSSL,
 > the RDF Dublin Core, and namespaces influence my work.  Learning to
 > think beyond the DTD to the information properties of the metalanguage
 > proves to be very useful and that is not something I did before.
 > As activities like X3D ramp up, I find I am applying more and more
 > of the wall-to-wall markup concepts from the middle years of SGML
 > and they work in the XML infrastructure of tools.  This is actually
 > quite delightful.

Precisely.  The important point, though, is that none of these
peripheral standards is hard-coded to SGML or XML.  Although there are
some minor lexical differences, in general you could apply Namespaces
to SGML or HyTime to XML, you could use XSL to format an SGML document
or DSSSL to format an XML document, etc.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/

(un)subscribe xml-dev