   RE: CSS and XSL - competition

  • From: regan@knowmed.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:36:22 -0700

	No doubt there are valid criticisms of XSL in particular contexts.
But what seems to be missing in these discussions are those contexts. Both
CSS and XSL are useful and I really don't see a "competition" developing in
the sense that only one will survive. While it may be true that XSL (or
anything else, like Java for example) is getting a lot of hype for
applications when other tools can be used, and may even be better options,
that doesn't mean that XSL isn't the best option in particular situations.
	The important part of tool selection is choosing the right one for
the right job. We choose to use Smalltalk for our main application
development (a electronic medical record system) because its the best
language for large application development and maintenance, and likewise we
use XML, Java, CSS, XSL etc, etc when its the best tool for the job at hand.
Explicitly we use CSS for HTML we display in a browser and we use XSL to
transform XML into the HTML and CSS we display. Both tools are needed.

-Regan
KnowMed Systems

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest