   Multiple documents in one 'wrapper'

  • From: "Anton Schoultz - ePOS" <antons@epos.co.za>
  • To: "XML-DEV LIST" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:50:44 +0200

Hi all,

I am new to the marvels of XML which I am using in an E.D.I. context.

In UN-EDIFACT an interchange can built up from a 'mixed bag' of EDIFACT
Messages, which are then wrapped inside the interchange UNB/UNZ
while each message is bounded by it's own UNH/UNZ.

I have two questions here

Q1-Does XML support multiple document types in a file? iow could I wrap
several invoice docs, a couple of statement docs, and a report into one
file?

Q2-I'd like to use some common fragments in several different documents,
preferably without replicating the definition in each DTD. Can I set up a
DTD fragment and then refer to it from within my document DTD, if so how?

Many Thanks

Anton Schoultz
e-mail: mailto:antons@ePOS.co.za
Office: +27 11 807-9400 Ext. 205