   Newbie - How to Load XML data into Oracle

  • From: "Gorden-Ozgul, Patricia E" <gorden@bnl.gov>
  • To: 'XML-DEV LIST' <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:40:19 -0500

I'm new to the world of SGML (not new) and XML (new) and document
processing.  I am an Oracle developer/DBA.

My understanding of the my part of the project is to load the XML data into
an Oracle database (8.x on Solaris 2.6) from which we will be creating XML
for a required data call.  The XML output will be 'passed' through multiple
DTDs based upon which type of document is represented.

I have never worked with variable length, multiple line tagged data before.
Is anyone out there familiar with the method by which I could perform such a
load?  It looks to me like Oracle's load utility, SQL*LOADER couldn't handle
this.  To use it I'd need to convert the XML data to a delimited flat file.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or help for me?
TIA

* * * * *
Pat Gorden-Ozgul
Database Development
Information Services Division Bldg 477
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Upton, New York   11967
(516)344-5159     gorden@bnl.gov

I take sole responsibility for any opinion expressed herein.
* * * * *