   Re: Microsoft XML Parser

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: Chandramouli Viswanathan <cviswana@RCCL.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 09:25:20 -0800

Chandramouli Viswanathan wrote:

> My question is ---- how can i provide the mapping to the physical dtd file on
> some network area based on the public reference we are using? according to the
> w3c standards for validation, there is supposed to be a catalog file where you
> can drop this reference. I have not been able to figure out from microsoft and
> third party documentation on how to setup this mapping.

Actually what the XML spec says is that you "may" have functionality
(regardless of whether you're validating) along the lines of what SGML
systems do with catalogs.  It doesn't mention catalogs, as I recall.

There's no requirement that any parser have catalog support.  Any SAX
parser can kick it in easily (use an EntityResolver) but you're not
using one of those.

Your duty, should you choose to accept it, is to persuate Microsoft
that this feature is worth having ... and that they should use a
standard catalog format so that it's not a proprietary feature!

- Dave