   Lightweight XML

  • From: Jay Chalfant <jchalfan@outbackinc.com>
  • To: 'xml-dev' <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:14:58 -0800

In working on thin clients over thin pipes, I've had two notions regarding
XML:

1) Compressed XML: Not generic text compression, but DTD-specific
compression. It seems that if I have a document that conforms to a given DTD
that I could apply a generic transform (input DTD and document) that would
produce a minimal representation of the document. Readers of the document
would need to know the DTD and the generic transform used. Anybody know of
such a transform or work in this area?

2) Lightweight parser: If I am building a system that uses a single DTD,
there should exist the potential to produce a parser that is much lighter
that a standard (non-validating) parser. Does anybody know of a tool that
would accept DTD as input and produce source code for the "single-DTD"
parser?

All comments welcome. Thanks.

-J

Jay Chalfant