   Re: Schemas coming of age: use them

  • From: "Mark D. Anderson" <mda@discerning.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 17:41:10 -0800

(I love how we all immediately have alternative exegetical
analyses of every one of timbl's utterances...)

This read to me as a exhortation *within* w3c to eat their
own dogfood -- note the cc to w3 aliases and the narrowing
to "any group developing a *W3C* xml application" (emphasis mine).
Unless that was meant to reinforce some sort of w3c branding or
trademark on "xml"....

Seems perfectly reasonable to me to try to get the different
standards groups within a single standards body to try to
use each others' stuff. The apparent efforts to unify the
use of XPath in XSLT, XQL, and elsewhere, is to me a great
example of this.

As for whether those of us on the outside will bother with
these standards, that obviously depends on our judgment of their
usefulness and design (insert rant about P3P here), or
their stability (look how long XLink is taking, and that is
a simpler area than schemas).

There is also the issue that the areas that would be
most critical for standards re-use (xlink, info set, modules)
seem to be the slowest moving. I don't know if that slowness
is because of the multiple demands, or because it is thought
to be more exciting to do whole applications/protocols like P3P,
so that is where all the energy is going.

Of course the real test of a standard -- some would say a pre-requesite
for its ratification -- is its use in real applications and
implementations, not in its use in other standards.

-mda