   Re: Feeling good about SML

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: Sean Mc Grath <digitome@iol.ie>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:19:35 -0600

Sean Mc Grath wrote:

> Does anyone knowledgeable in the minutia
> of XML compliance care to list the extant
> parsers and put them into fully XML 1.0
> compliant and non-XML 1.0 compliant camps?
>
> The next step would be to segregate the
> XML 1.0 compliant parsers along the
> lines of things they do that are
> "optional" per the spec. that cause
> interoperability problems.

I am sort of surprised this isn't already
done.  One of the first things done for
X3D and VRML was to get NIST involved in
conformance testing.  It didn't fix the
problem with non-conformant implementations
but it was helpful in sorting them out.
The problem has been by the time the
conformance tests are done, the spec
has moved on or there are new related
specs.  But, this was where we were in
SGML in about 1995-96 with regards to
using the applications.   We had to write
up tests for the US Navy and even these
weren't enough because they were based
on surface characteristics.   Conformance
testing is necessary for XML; otherwise,
the application languages don't have a
chance of being truly portable.

len