   Re: Parser compliance

  • From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 18:53:07 +0700

Richard Lanyon wrote:

> On 16 Nov 1999, David Megginson wrote:
> > Sean Mc Grath <digitome@iol.ie> writes:
>
> > > Does anyone knowledgeable in the minutia of XML compliance care to
> > > list the extant parsers and put them into fully XML 1.0 compliant
> > > and non-XML 1.0 compliant camps?
>
> > Well, Expat is drop-dead, shoot-your-dog-if-it-ain't conformant...
>
> Indeed, but it's not necessarily "fully-featured" in that it doesn't
> include external entities

It does actually. It's supported external general entities for a long
time.  The current test version (at
ftp://ftp.jclark.com/pub/test/expat.zip) also support external parameter
entities including the DTD subset; this is the version being used in
Perl or Mozilla, so it's actually fairly solid.

> and isn't validating

This is true.  XML 1.0 DTD validation isn't very useful for the things
I'm interested in and I want to keep the code size small.  Expat
provides enough information that you could implement a validation layer
on top.

James