   Re: Parser compliance

  • From: nisse@lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller)
  • To: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
  • Date: 17 Nov 1999 14:38:04 +0100

James Clark <jjc@jclark.com> writes:

> > and isn't validating
>
> This is true.  XML 1.0 DTD validation isn't very useful for the things
> I'm interested in and I want to keep the code size small.  Expat
> provides enough information that you could implement a validation layer
> on top.

I have a question on expat's API. Say that one of the callback
function detects some error (e.g. unexpected element name or
attribute) and wants the entire parse to fail. How do I report this
back? To me, the natural way to do it would be to have the callback
function return an error code to the parser, which can then clean up,
stop parsing, and pass the error code on to the caler. But callback
functions return void, so that's obviously not how it is supposed to
work.

/Niels