   Re: Feeling good about SML

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "XML Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 22 Nov 1999 08:23:01 -0500

"Michael Champion" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com> writes:

> > Hmm... in the part of the real world where I live, there seem relatively
> > few impediments to the understanding, implementation, processing, and use
> > of XML.  Just going on the evidence of what I see. -Tim
>
> But Tim, you quite literally (co-)wrote the book on XML ... and one of the
> first parsers, and I'm sure a ton of XML applications.  No one would expect
> *you* , or anyone with SGML expertise, for that matter, to have any trouble
> understanding, implementing, or using it.  But how about the rest of the
> real world?

Oops!  I'm pretty sure Tim was talking about the thousands of people
he's met as customers, business associates, and audiences over the
past few years, not about himself.

I would be very happy to have the opportunity to meet a quarter as
much of the Real World as Tim has, if only I could find a way to do it
without travelling.

All the best,

David

p.s. The little bit of the real world I've met wants running software
that does interesting and useful things -- standards and specs are
just a means to that end.  Just parsing XML (or SML) is neither
interesting nor useful: it's a tiny (even with SGML!) library function
hidden in a much larger application.

           http://www.megginson.com/