   Re: SGML, XML and SML

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:02:24 +0800

 From: Don Park <donpark@docuverse.com>

>>Well, it is not XML at all if  it miss-parses a well-formed XML
>>document.
>>
>><a>
>>    <?b </a> ?>
>>    <!-- </a> -->
>>    <![CDATA[ </a> ]]]>
>></a>
>
>Rick, I think you are actually picking an example favoring
>the use of SML.  It might be legal XML but it is also a
>bracketed ball of mess.  Besides, SML processors can't
>parse full XML just as XML parsers can parse full SGML.

No, every XML document is a legitimate WebSGML document.
But would every SML document be a well-formed XML document?

That example is one that SML would have to have a policy on:
one that would constrain documents to being XML is to barf
whenever <!  or <? was found.

If you want a less bracketed mess, then pick any one of
or
or

Or even:

Rick Jelliffe