   RE: Why I Hate Palmtops (was: Re: SGML, XML and SML)

  • From: "Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@ebt.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 18:18:33 -0500

> I could imagine a client-side translation to speech.  I'd
> DEFINITELY want to send the text to the cellphone in XML (or SML, or some
> structured markup language) so that the text-to-speech rendered only the
most
> salient parts of the content.

The amount of computing power to accomplish this would again then
to argue against the necessity for SML. I agree that handheld devices
will be very significant in the future, I debate the necessity to
lobotomize XML in order to use them.

These devices will be significantly more powerful in the very near future,
and so should be more than capable of dealing with XML 1.0 (after all,
they'll have networking, and lot's of other stuff built in).

For highly underpowered devices (which are doomed to extinction or
obsolescence), I don't get the need for XML. At the end of the day,
the *application* of XML is what is the most important thing, and
precisely the thing that sucks the most cycles from a CPU. The
syntax is the least of it...