   Re: [SML] Preliminary EBNF v0.2

  • From: Joe Lapp <jlapp@webmethods.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:10:02 -0500

I agree in principal with Bill's response, but not with the details.  XML's
complex Unicode subset requirements are unfortunate.  Can any Unicode guru
out there explain the conditions under which someone would put together a
Unicode sequence that XML does not allow?  Such sequences may be invalid
for reasons that SML (and XML) need not enforce; something elsewhere could
enforce them.

However, I would like some form of the first character distinction to
remain in SML element type names.  For this we need merely redefine the XML
Letter production.

(BTW Bill, I think we need colons in names to support XML namespaces,
unless we want to us the name productions found in the namespace spec.)

At 10:43 AM 11/28/1999 -0700, William Lindsey wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Don Park wrote:
>
>> The NameChar is basically anything except '<', '>', '&',
>> and whitespace characters.
>
>This, of course, breaks compatibility with XML.  A bad idea,
>in my opinion.  I'd be much more interested in exploring
>the possibility of codifying a restricted subset of XML that
>can work with the tools I have (psgml, SAX, XSLT, etc.):
>
>* No marked CDATA
>* No external general entities
>* No mixed content
>* No colons in names ;-)
>* A single character encoding
>
>Once you've decided to leave XML compatibility behind, why
>not
> (a) start over from scratch (S-Expressions, null end tags, etc.)
> (b) move this discussion to another forum
>
>Enjoy,
>Bill
>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on
CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1

--
Joe Lapp              (Looking for some good people to help design
Senior Engineer        and build the Internet's business-to-business