   Re: [SML] Data Markup Language?

  • From: "Michael Champion" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 05:32:05 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Lapp <jlapp@webmethods.com>
To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 1999 8:08 PM
Subject: [SML] Data Markup Language?

> If we decide that SML is for data and not for publishing, should we then
> rename SML to Data Markup Language (DML)?  The real answer to this
question
> depends on the audience that is interested in SML, I think.  So it would
> probably be sufficient to refute my suggestion by having a large enough
> group of people express interest in SML for publishing

"Data" vs "Publishing" is a reasonable continuum, but it's really hard to
draw boundaries between them that are not very fuzzy.  I'm primarily
interested in "SML" for intelligent messaging to very light clients.  That's
more like "Data", since at least traditionally we're talking about things
like stock quotes, phone numbers, etc. here.... but this has already
branched out into short text messages in the PDA/phone world and we can
imagine it moving more toward "Publishing" as PDA/cellphone screen sizes and
bandwidth improve.

On the other hand, I'm not crazy about "SML" as a name for this, partly
because "simplified" means too many things to too many people.  I'd go for
"Minimal" or even "Skeletal" or "BareBones" (MML? BBML???).  But at this
point, "SML" is a convenient label for this on XML-DEV, and we can worry
about what to call it once we figure out what it IS and who to send it to
for some official blessing.