   Re: Mixed content and whitespace ( [SML] Data Markup Language? )

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: Joe Lapp <jlapp@webmethods.com>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:10:09 -0800

> Besides, you could always emulate mixed content such as...
>
>   <x>I'm <evil-term>mixed</evil-term> content.</x>
>
> By writing...

> Everything is explicitly labelled.  One additional benefit is that users
> would be free to introduce whitespace between elements without worrying
> about changing the semantics of the document.

I see no big difference here, the first one is ( much?) easier to
write and to read.

What I see is the problem with APIs for  whitespace processing,
but I think even it is related to mixed context, it is just a part of some
bigger problem : "how to process whitespace in SML".  The way
XML does it is a bit inconsistent.

It's  the  can of warms, like namespaces and I'm afraid to
open any of those by myself ;-)

> If we decide that SML is for data and not for publishing, should we then
> rename SML to Data Markup Language (DML)?

I think any 'data'  would need to be 'published' earlier or later.

I think that if we agree on <comment></comment> -
there is for sure some place for mixed content in
*any* SML document. I agree - it is not the mainstream.

I would like to be able to create SML documents manualy
and I want it to be as easy as it is now, when I'm creating
XML documents. Replacing  attributes with elements
will not make me any big problem. Disabling mixed context
would make a problem, because I like to use
<B> </B> ;-)

Even your suggestion simplifies things with whitespace
processing a bit ( and makes creation of the documents
a bit harder), I don't think such a subtile improvement
is worth the typing efforts it will cause, but I'm not sure
and if  such a restriction will have some big pozitive
impact on some other part of the framework - I think
my personal oppinion may change. At the moment
I'm against removing <BR/> and I'm against removing
mixed content. But I was also against removing comments ,
until one nice preson provided the <c> </c> idea.  ;-)

Rgds.Paul.