   RE: A call for reason

  • From: "Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@ebt.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:05:06 -0500

If you have a look at my posting of 11/15/99

  http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Nov-1999/0500.html

you'll see that I basically agree with your logic. The point is that
you don't really need to define a new syntax, but rather define the
application conventions for using an existing syntax (ideally using
a sophisticated schema mechanism as you suggest).

Another way of looking at it would be to look at a stream of SAX
events as tokens of a language. You want to constrain the grammar
(the way the tokens can be organized), not the way the tokens
are formed.