   RE: [SML] Data Markup Language?

  • From: "Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@ebt.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:35:12 -0500

> SML's impact on DOM API should be fairly significant.
> At least half of the interface and methods can be
> thrown out in SDOM.  Effect on SAX should be somewhat
> less though.

I debate this. I could just as easily say that SDOM doesn't
expose entities, and is read-only, but is still layered on
top of XML 1.0. I've done something like this a few times
over the last year, and every one of those API's was much
simpler than the DOM.

The question is not one of syntax, but exposure of
information through the API.

Is SML a syntax, a data model, or what?