   Re: XML Database: position papers ?

  • From: "Liam R. E. Quin" <liamquin@interlog.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:55:08 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Patrice Bonhomme wrote:
> I am looking for some position papers that are doing a comparison of both
> relational model and object oriented approaches for XML database conception.
I'm half way thruogh writing a book about using XML and databases...

A lot of what's best depends on who you have available, and on
your environment.

It's pretty hard to get good performance either way, although the
SQL/MM extensions to support nested tables will have a big impact as
the major vendors release them  Of course, if you don't need rollback,
MySQL is probably 2 orders of magnitude faster for most small to medium
sized projects.

Some of the OO vendrs such as ODI and Poet have XGML software that's
very much worth looking at.

In practice, though, ask yourself very careful questions before
doing anything more complex than having plain files, RCS or CVS, and
a CGI script or two :-)

Lee

--
Liam Quin, Barefoot Computing, Toronto;  The barefoot agitator
l i a m    at    h o l o w e b    dot    n e t