   Re: SAX2: relative ordering of startDocument() & startDTD() events?

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: Michael Fuller <msf@io.mds.rmit.edu.au>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 18:21:14 -0800

Michael Fuller wrote:

> What's the relative ordering of the ContentHandler::startDocument()
> and LexicalHandler::startDTD() and endDTD() events?
>
> Is it:
>     startDocument()
>     startDTD()
>         [... possibly startEntity()/endEntity() events]
>     endDTD()
>         [... various startElement()/endElement()/... events]
>     endDocument()
> or:
	... nah ...

> I presume the former...  I trust it isn't parser dependent.

Shouldn't be.  The only call that should come before startDocument()
has always been specified to be setDocumentLocator().

I've got three which emit those lexical events, and if they don't
work that way, I'd like to hear about it!

By the way, are you also of the opinion that startEntity()/endEntity()
are terminally broken?  If not, what sensible reporting scheme exists
for stuff like

	<!ELEMENT foo (%pe1;|%pe2;|foo)*>

I can only see entities (parameter and general) which are _between_
markup constructs as even beginning to work.  Rather than provide
multiple parser-dependent interpretations of those calls, or trying
to make them all fit into the same non-standard mold, I just removed
essentially all that support.

- Dave