   Re: SAX2: relative ordering of startDocument() & startDTD() events?

  • From: Michael Fuller <msf@io.mds.rmit.edu.au>
  • To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:56:49 +1100

> Shouldn't be.  The only call that should come before startDocument()
> has always been specified to be setDocumentLocator().

Thanks for confirming what I hoped; yes, that's what one would expect,
it's just not really documented.

(I'd better be careful, or we'll detour into a XML/DOM/Grove/SAX/... data
model debate without realizing!)

> By the way, are you also of the opinion that startEntity()/endEntity()
> are terminally broken?

'fraid I can't comment yet; I'm just starting to look at non-DocumentHandler/
ContentHandler events, and from a C++ perspective at that.

> If not, what sensible reporting scheme exists
> for stuff like
>
> 	<!ELEMENT foo (%pe1;|%pe2;|foo)*>

Urp.

> Rather than provide multiple parser-dependent interpretations of those
> calls, or trying to make them all fit into the same non-standard mold, I
> just removed essentially all that support.

Yep; looks like maybe we do need an explicit SAX data model...
nothing fancy, just an itemization of the events, their ordering,
their relationship to each other and the document context.

Cheers,

Michael
http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~msf/
Multimedia Databases Group, RMIT, Australia.