   Re: SAX2: relative ordering of startDocument() & startDTD() events?

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: XML-DEV <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: 07 Feb 2000 20:21:09 -0500

Michael Fuller <msf@io.mds.rmit.edu.au> writes:

> > If not, what sensible reporting scheme exists
> > for stuff like
> >
> > 	<!ELEMENT foo (%pe1;|%pe2;|foo)*>
>
> Urp.

I'm afraid that my answer to that is "who cares?"  It's not that DTDs
aren't useful (I use them every day), but that I don't see that the
demand for a generic DTD interface with that level of detail is really
going to be that significant even in the medium term -- it's not
something that most applications need.

> > Rather than provide multiple parser-dependent interpretations of those
> > calls, or trying to make them all fit into the same non-standard mold, I
> > just removed essentially all that support.
>
> Yep; looks like maybe we do need an explicit SAX data model...
> nothing fancy, just an itemization of the events, their ordering,
> their relationship to each other and the document context.

That's a little tricky, because it has to be done incrementally:
people will define new hander types all the time, and DeclHandler and
LexicalHandler themselves are not core handlers like ContentHandler.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/