   RE: Asynchronous message queue by SMTP&POP3

  • From: "David Orchard" <orchard@pacificspirit.com>
  • To: "K.Kawaguchi" <k-kawa@swiftinc.co.jp>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:53:33 -0800

I absolutely believe that xml over smtp/pop3 is a valid format/protocol
combo.  I have suggested this at many of the talks I have given.

Some of the advantages and particular features:
o existing servers (exchange/domino/many others) with many features (simple
routing/filtering)
o existing clients
o existing protocols
o existing client APIs (jmapi, ...)
o security for clients, servers, messages in transit(smime)
o almost guaranteed delivery or notification of failure
o publish/subscribe servers already (listserv)
o standard addressing mechanism
o Caching/persistence model (leave on server or delete)
o Protocols are already document based (compared to say IIOP)

Disadvantages:
o no server programming model - how does one program a java service at
orchard@pacificspirit.com?
o not strong enough reliable delivery
o movement away from non-http protocols, ie webmail instead of smtp/pop
clients
o http asynch protocols emerging - ICE, biztalk, tpaML, ebML
o No componentry available

I've probably missed a number of advantages/disadvantages, but this might
help continue the ball rolling.  In general, I think xml over smtp is viable
and cool, I just think that HTTP collective is going to assimilate asynch
xml messaging at a personal (webmail) and at a device level.

Cheers,
Dave Orchard
IBM technical architect
XML Link co-editor