   Re: Asynchronous message queue by SMTP&POP3

  • From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: "David Orchard" <orchard@pacificspirit.com>, "K.Kawaguchi" <k-kawa@swiftinc.co.jp>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 20:56:27 -0800

Subject: RE: Asynchronous message queue by SMTP&POP3

Whether you need asynchronous messaging, queuing, and guaranteed delivery
depends on in part on the nature of your application. Some people are
looking at XML for mission-critical (bet-your-business) applications.

> Some of the advantages and particular features:
> o almost guaranteed delivery or notification of failure

That's workable for many applications -- for example delivering news
articles to a browser or a class schedule to a university student. If there
is a delivery failure, I can always read it later.

> Disadvantages:
> o no server programming model - how does one program a java service at
> orchard@pacificspirit.com?
> o not strong enough reliable delivery

These are a problem if you want to use an XML infrastructure for
mission-critical applications. For example, a major auto company processes
many gigabytes of EDI transactions daily and there is a lot of momentum for
moving to XML/EDI. You can't let $200 million in parts orders fall into the
bit bucket. You'll need to do load balancing and custom document handling to
get adequate performance with that type of application.