   Re: SAX (Introduction, Recomandations, Future...)

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 20:56:09 +0000

At 08:48 AM 2/9/00 +0000, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> At 09:17 PM 2/8/00 -0800, Jon Bosak wrote:
> >[Peter Murray-Rust:]
> >

> >I traded the domain name to OASIS in return for an individual
> >membership.
>
> Thanks for the clarification, Jon. I think this was a valuable contribution.
>

> >I don't think that anyone owns SAX, OASIS included, but I strongly
> >believe that further work on it should be conducted in a properly
> >constituted OASIS technical committee so that the evolution of the
> >specification from this point on is guaranteed to take place under
> >a democratic process that is open to all interested parties,
> >provides an IPR policy based on an open-source model, and is
> >visible to the world at large.  The xml-dev list supplies
> >visibility but not the rest of what's needed.
>
> I fully agree about this.

When I wrote this I was distinguishing between SAX and SAX2 - perhaps I
shouldn't have. My argument was that SAX (V1.0) is now essentially static and
as such is worthy of a formal home and curation (e.g. conformance testing as
NIST/OASIS have done).

SAX2 is dynamic , a product of DavidM and this list and I would not support
its
transfer until it had passed through the same phases as SAX 1.0.

 P.