   Re: SAX (Introduction, Recomandations, Future...)

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:31:54 -0800

Jon Bosak wrote:

> I don't think that anyone owns SAX, OASIS included,

It's "public domain" ...

The SAX core has, by definition, no IPR beyond such control as
"xml.org" places on its own namespaces.

It may be that OASIS should define a process through which
it'll bless SAX2's use of those namespaces.  If it doesn't
bless them, then maybe SAX needs to be in some other namespace.

>	 but I strongly
> believe that further work on it should be conducted in a properly
> constituted OASIS technical committee so that the evolution of the
> specification from this point on is guaranteed to take place under
> a democratic process that is open to all interested parties,
> provides an IPR policy based on an open-source model,

The most successful "open source" models include an active
development project and a general-access CVS source tree,
to which certain "trusted" parties have putback permission.

Now, I don't think SAX itself should change too much.  I've
got issues with SAX2beta, but face it -- the fun is in layers
above such APIs, SAX is just a tool (that works or doesn't).

>	 and is
> visible to the world at large.  The xml-dev list supplies
> visibility but not the rest of what's needed.

There's been a little followup discussion on some of these issues.
I think much of it never got to me.

I'll remind folk of one significant failing of XML-DEV, lately:
no no official archive.  I can't even find an "xml-dev" webpage
on the "xml.org" website.  Those two things, with the transmission
delays many of us have experienced, do make me wonder if XML-DEV
is any longer an appropriate home on just a technical basis, even
forgetting the "too high a volume" issue.

Archiving discussions is a real biggie -- as many folk here have
said about W3C, which hides all significant discussions from the
unwashed masses who are getting affected by them.

My opinion:  it's time for a SAX-DEV list, suitably archived and
open, focussed on SAX and closely related technologies.  Use the
rest of the SAX2beta cycle to bootstrap it.

- Dave